Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Bulletin Nine: The Pulp Fiction Edition

Hello from all here at St. Lymphoma’s, and welcome to this the ‘Pulp Fiction’ edition of my medical bulletin.

Those of a nervous disposition should not be worried. My choice of title does not reflect a shift towards graphic depictions of sex and violence!

Issue Eight found me clearer in mind, following my discussions with Le Grand Fromage, and awaiting the last of my poisonings, which was carried out on the 9th May (one week ago today).



I must have become very blasé about it all as I completely forgot to go in the day before to get my blood count checked. This meant I had an earlier start than usual as I needed this test completed before I could go ahead with the treatment. All went much as before, although I was sent home without any medication – which I also failed to notice…….I think my brain power is diminishing rapidly with each dose. Thankfully that should be the last one, but I’ll know more later this month.

So, there we go…….

Since my treatment I’ve felt very tired and pretty nauseous – something which seems to have got worse as the treatment cycle has progressed. Jessica reports that it sounds very like being pregnant, but I am happy to report that my bulge seems to have reduced in size rather than grown over the last few months, so we can rule that complication out.


As some of you may have noticed I’ve finally got the rest of the Bulletins up on the net. It’s been strange reading through them. For a start, I had forgotten quite how long this has been going on for. I couldn’t believe I’d had the first of my chemo poisonings in January – no wonder I’m heartily sick of being sick.

My attitude seems to have changed too, but gradually, without my noticing it. When I read back to my first treatment what I wrote was, unsurprisingly, full of anger and fear. Both those emotions seem to have drifted away from me, and now what I feel is frustration primarily, that I’m unable to do anything at all except sit in front of the computer……….. and sleep.

Of course, I’m putting out of my mind all of the various possibilities that may arise as a result of my forthcoming tests, and focussing solely on getting this part of the treatment over with. As Jessica would tell you, when it comes to not worrying about what I can’t control (i.e. putting my head in the sand) I’m truly world class, and I intend to make full use of this skill over the next few weeks.


I’m sure that fear and anger will return from time to time, but at the moment they’re in abeyance, probably because I’m assuming that, whether I achieve full or partial remission, I will at least get some break from treatment.

If this turns out not to be the case then I shall certainly be angry, frightened and very upset – not that any of those emotions will do me the slightest good of course, as I’ll just have to grit my teeth and get on with it as before.

I guess that’s what is described as ‘fighting’ cancer.




So, some dates for the sicky diary……….



Blood test – Thurday 18th May – This should be routine. They’ve tested bloods a week after each poisoning so that if my neutrophil levels drop too far they can give me a booster prior to the next poisoning. As I’m done with the chemo for now (apparently), I’m not quite sure what the purpose of this test is on this occasion, but ‘ours not to reason why’……..

Bone Marrow Biopsy – Tuesday 23rd May – My second one of these, but the first since the start of treatment. If it’s anything like the last one I’ll be guaranteed a nice mid-morning snooze for a couple of hours and a large bruise on my hip.



CT Scan – Thursday 1st June






Consultant’s Appointment – Friday 2nd June – to discuss the test results and decide what happens next









What busy lives we sick people lead…..I just don’t know how I shall fit it all in.

Thanks once again to everyone for your help and support.

All chants, prayers, crossed appendages, and any other expressions of superstitious goodwill will be gladly accepted.

Love


Dave

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home